SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » Other Interests » Off Topic
College Basketball Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [54 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  1, 2 Next
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 5019

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: College Basketball Discussion

Early thoughts so far?

And for Money, have you seen any Uconn games this year? If so, could you tell us about Hasheem Thabeet? I see he's averaging about 5 blocks a game, and sounds like a freak.

As a Gonzaga fan, kind of glad to see us back under the radar, where we thrive. Cool
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 2483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

#6 Alabama Crimson Tide

Ronald Steele, Jemareo Davidson. Remember the names.

3249 Chatt. Tide Pride|1930 (RIP) Joga Bonito(FB)|1930 -XsT- |770 Redd Dog Wrestling
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mlthmp
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 1602

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm expecting to see LSU finish in the top spot this season.. Odds are I'll be wrong but who knows lol

I'd like to see Gonzaga win it all, but it'll never happen
mlthmp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Slip'N'Sliders wrote:
#6 Alabama Crimson Tide

When Alabama gets to the meat of their schedule.. we'll see..
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Slip'N'Sliders wrote:
#6 Alabama Crimson Tide

Agreed. They gave UCLA a huge scare in the 2nd round last year, and they return their core of players I believe. Steele is probably the best PG in the country, Davidson's a very good post man, and Gee and Hendrix are solid.. Once they get both back Steele and Davidson back, they'll be extremely dangerous.

mlthmp wrote:
I'm expecting to see LSU finish in the top spot this season.. Odds are I'll be wrong but who knows lol

LSU is pretty solid. Big Baby Davis was SEC player of the year last year, and apparently he's dropped alot of wieght(haven't seen him yet, though). LSU definitely has the opportunity to finish #1 with big non-conf games vs Texas, Texas AnM, Washington, and Uconn.

And that's EXACTLY what I want to hear. Thank you.

I think this year will be extremely interesting because there isn't a clear cut #1(Florida was pre-season, but I don't think they are so much anymore.) and because alot of the top ranked teams are relying heavily on freshmen(UNC, Ohio State, and Duke) and underclassmen(Kansas and Marquette).

We also need to remember that Florida and LSU weren't even ranked in the pre-season last year and went on to the Final 4, and Florida the championship. Not to mention George Mason.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

G, what do you think George Mason will be able to do this season? Possible repeat?
Slip'N'Sliders
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 2483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
Slip'N'Sliders wrote:
#6 Alabama Crimson Tide

Agreed. They gave UCLA a huge scare in the 2nd round last year, and they return their core of players I believe. Steele is probably the best PG in the country, Davidson's a very good post man, and Gee and Hendrix are solid.. Once they get both back Steele and Davidson back, they'll be extremely dangerous.

mlthmp wrote:

LSU is pretty solid. Big Baby Davis was SEC player of the year last year, and apparently he's dropped alot of wieght(haven't seen him yet, though). LSU definitely has the opportunity to finish #1 with big non-conf games vs Texas, Texas AnM, Washington, and Uconn.

And that's EXACTLY what I want to hear. Thank you.

I think this year will be extremely interesting because there isn't a clear cut #1(Florida was pre-season, but I don't think they are so much anymore.) and because alot of the top ranked teams are relying heavily on freshmen(UNC, Ohio State, and Duke) and underclassmen(Kansas and Marquette).

We also need to remember that Florida and LSU weren't even ranked in the pre-season last year and went on to the Final 4, and Florida the championship. Not to mention George Mason.

Im gonna try my hardest to make the Alabama vs LSU game in Tuscaloosa sometime this season.

3249 Chatt. Tide Pride|1930 (RIP) Joga Bonito(FB)|1930 -XsT- |770 Redd Dog Wrestling
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Money
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 1922

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Haven't had much time following UConn, my friend's there for tonight's game... I'll ask him.

College basketball season snuck up on me kind of quick... time to tell my friends up at Storrs to get me tickets for a couple games. Although I don't like how tight security is at Gambel, they've confiscated many drinks and food from me. Mad

As for my #1 team this year to root for, it's a tie between UConn and UNC (TH's). I plan to go to alot of college basketball games next year though. Smile (Either UNC, UConn, or UCLA... depends on which school wants me...)
Confused

102450¦105235¦1141¦889¦9669¦55345¦787

So many chances in life but only one at life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kingjames
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7311

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

UNC all the way were young but we got the best coach in the nation
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

mlthmp wrote:
G, what do you think George Mason will be able to do this season? Possible repeat?

lol...unfortunately, no, for two reasons. One, they lost too much with Skinner, Lucas, and Butler graduating. They still have Folarin Cambell and Will Thomas who are solid players, but they can't overcome reason #2, Hofstra. Hofstra's Loren Stokes is an NBA talent, and Hofstra should be the only team out of the CAA to make the tournament(barring an upset in the conference tournament, and Hofstra would still make it as an at-large, probably).

And that brings me to my next point. I'm sick of hearing people asking others to pick the next "George Mason". I don't think they understand the George Mason concept. You can't pick the next George Mason. The next George Mason would theoretically be a team you've never heard of(George Mason). If you pick a team to be the next George Mason, they can't be, because you picked them. YOU CAN'T PICK THE NEXT GEORGE MASON. Evil or Very Mad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Money wrote:
Haven't had much time following UConn, my friend's there for tonight's game... I'll ask him.

College basketball season snuck up on me kind of quick... time to tell my friends up at Storrs to get me tickets for a couple games. Although I don't like how tight security is at Gambel, they've confiscated many drinks and food from me. Mad

As for my #1 team this year to root for, it's a tie between UConn and UNC (TH's). I plan to go to alot of college basketball games next year though. Smile (Either UNC, UConn, or UCLA... depends on which school wants me...)
Confused

GONZAGA>UNC BABY. AHAHAHA. Freaking Butler. Mad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Money wrote:

Confused

I was asking because he's 7'3'' freshmen, but apparently he's not just some huge stiff(like most 7'2''+ guys). He was highly coveted coming out of high school in Texas. So far he's had a 7 and 9 block game and is averaging about 30 minutes a game. Shocked
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Sooooo.

G.. uhmmm buddy.

Who do you think this year's George Mason will be?

I'm sorry.. I just had to
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

mlthmp wrote:
Sooooo.

G.. uhmmm buddy.

Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 5111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

mlthmp wrote:
Sooooo.

G.. uhmmm buddy.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this year's George Mason will be.... George Mason. Unless they changed their name when I wasn't paying attention.....

My team is the Terps of Maryland, who are something like 8-0, just beat Illinois in the ACC/Big 10 challenge. I'm liking their chances this year.
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 1516

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Well from watching the beginning of the OSU vs. UNC game....both teams have some studs. But in about a month when Oden comes back it should be fun watching domination Cool

I'm feelin Kansas this season though....a lot of nice talent, and not too happy about last season's tournament loss. Rock. Chalk. Jayhawk.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Did everyone see my Tarheels destory OSU well not destroy it was a really good game kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 361

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

kingjames wrote:
Did everyone see my Tarheels destory OSU well not destroy it was a really good game kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Considering the score, it was a MUCH better game than the final score. Give OSU a month, and they will be a VERY good basketball team.

Hansborough is absolutely a stud, and UNC did a nice job adjusting, but once again, this was OSU's first away game, and QUITE a place to play.

OSU will roll later on with Oden--I hope. Smile
Kyle
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 326

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I haven't made the transition from football to basketball yet. I usually don't until after Christmas anyway. I'm so busy this time of year, it's hard for me to catch many games...plus, I have a little one now that gets lots of my attention in the evenings after work.

I'm not so sure about the SEC this year. I don't think they'll be as good as expected, especially since Kentucky isn't the dominate team they usually are. Alabama may just have their best team since making the elite eight a few years ago though. Like mlthmp said, we'll have to see when they start playing better opponents. I'm sure by the end of January it should be very apparent as to how good they are.
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

kingjames wrote:

You really don't have much to brag about. You won by 9(much closer game than that), OSU didn't have Oden and really had no one inside to guard both Hansbrough and Wright(I thought Lighty did a pretty good job on Wright when he was guarding him). OSU had Matt freaking Terwilliger out there.

I called OSU overrated before this game, and I apologize to buckeye fans. They played a heck of a game, and will be dangerous. Don't know how they'll be able to go depending on 3's, but it'll help to have Oden in there getting offensive rebounds. I came away more impressed with Conley, Cook, and Lighty than Lawson, Ellington, and Wright.
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 410

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone seen Jared Jordan at Marist play yet? He had a 30 point, 9 assist game earlier that someone at ESPN said might be the best guard performance we'll see all year. That guy is a ridiculous passer, and he's white! I think Marist has a really good chance of being this years "George Mason", having a good and expierenced leader at the point is one of the most important factors in pulling big upsets, and thats exactly what Jordan is (he's a senior).

And G; whos that new shaggy haired freshman at Gonzaga? I saw him play earlier this year and he seems like he'll do fine in carrying on the tradition of Gonzaga having a good shaggy haried white guard (Dickau, Stepp, Morrison...). Heytvelt looked pretty good also, I look forward to seeing Gonzaga when they come down to play Pepperdine.
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

henny wrote:
Has anyone seen Jared Jordan at Marist play yet? He had a 30 point, 9 assist game earlier that someone at ESPN said might be the best guard performance we'll see all year. That guy is a ridiculous passer, and he's white! I think Marist has a really good chance of being this years "George Mason", having a good and expierenced leader at the point is one of the most important factors in pulling big upsets, and thats exactly what Jordan is (he's a senior).

And G; whos that new shaggy haired freshman at Gonzaga? I saw him play earlier this year and he seems like he'll do fine in carrying on the tradition of Gonzaga having a good shaggy haried white guard (Dickau, Stepp, Morrison...). Heytvelt looked pretty good also, I look forward to seeing Gonzaga when they come down to play Pepperdine.

Matt Bouldin. Best recruit ever to come to Gonzaga, top 40 recruit...2 time Colorado player of the year. I honestly think he's the best guard on the team and wish he'd shoot more, but he looks to get everyone involved first. He's got a great stroke, but his passing ability is what's really impressive. He loves creating for other guys. He's a stud, and will be the next great Zag. I was raving about him all year(ask Reds. Laughing)

P.S. WTG, now Marist can't be this years George Mason. Didn't you read what I wrote!? Mad
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The Zags also have a really good class coming in next year. Austin Daye is one of the best scoring small forwards in all of California, and I might up end up playing him in a tournament this year :-\

They also got this huge 7 foot 250 pound center coming in from Canada named Robert Sacre who should have a big impact. So its safe to say the Zags are looking pretty good for the future.

Edit - I missed your George Mason post, woops Sad

Edit again - Speeking of Bouldin not shooting enough, do you think Ravio shoots to much? In all the games I've seen of them, he seems to force it a little to much when they should slow it down and set up the offense.
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

henny wrote:
The Zags also have a really good class coming in next year. Austin Daye is one of the best scoring small forwards in all of California, and I might up end up playing him in a tournament this year :-\

They also got this huge 7 foot 250 pound center coming in from Canada named Robert Sacre who should have a big impact. So its safe to say the Zags are looking pretty good for the future.

Edit - I missed your George Mason post, woops Sad

Edit again - Speeking of Bouldin not shooting enough, do you think Ravio shoots to much? In all the games I've seen of them, he seems to force it a little to much when they should slow it down and set up the offense.

You don't have to tell me about Gonzaga's class next year, I know all. Wink You forgot Steven Gray though, 6'3'' guard, haven't heard much about him, but he's rated in between Daye and Sacre. And in '08 they got a center named Andy Poling who's a blue chipper. Surprised

Ah, Raivio. He is probably the streakiest shooter I have ever seen. Luckily, he got extremely hot vs UNC which was a big reason why they won. Overall, he's good, but he can make some real bonehead plays and like you say, force things that aren't there. He's supposed to be Zaga's best guard, so he takes the most shots, and that's just how it is. He plays at a frantic pace, and has such a quick release, you really just don't know what he's going to do. Personally, I love Pargo, and how he doesn't settle for jumpers(like the rest of the team) and just attacks the rim constantly. He's a beast IMO.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

You really don't have much to brag about. You won by 9(much closer game than that), OSU didn't have Oden and really had no one inside to guard both Hansbrough and Wright(I thought Lighty did a pretty good job on Wright when he was guarding him). OSU had Matt freaking Terwilliger out there.

I called OSU overrated before this game, and I apologize to buckeye fans. They played a heck of a game, and will be dangerous. Don't know how they'll be able to go depending on 3's, but it'll help to have Oden in there getting offensive rebounds. I came away more impressed with Conley, Cook, and Lighty than Lawson, Ellington, and Wright.

Dude that was a impressive move and we a 5 people in double figures 4 were freshmen and Hansbourgh a sophmore. Its early and they wony get anything but better. Oden hasn't played a college game yet so who knows how he would have stacked up against Tyler and Wright he cant guard them both an probably would have fouled out. I think i have plenty to brag about.

GO TARHELLS FINAL FOUR BOUND DONT BELIEVE ME PUT UR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

kingjames wrote:
Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

Dude that was a impressive move and we a 5 people in double figures 4 were freshmen and Hansbourgh a sophmore. Its early and they wony get anything but better. Oden hasn't played a college game yet so who knows how he would have stacked up against Tyler and Wright he cant guard them both an probably would have fouled out. I think i have plenty to brag about.

You're an embarrassment to all UNC fans. LOL @ Oden has never played a college game. Congrats, Wright, Ellington, and Lawson have all played a grand total of 5 more college games than Oden! Just from a physical standpoint, having a 7 foot beast on defense is going to help you. And I'm willing to guarentee UNC won't make the final 4, and will tell you right now they won't be in my final 4 in my bracket. AND GONZAGA ALREADY BEAT UNC SO IN YOUR FACE.

And I have to ask since your name is "kingjames", are you from Ohio?
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 6581

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

i have a question for all.

Do you guys think UCLA is as good as their ranking and will be a team like last year? They lost what, one top guy, got back Affalo and still has presense in the inside. Now, I am NOT a UCLA fan, (Gonzaga, Washington and Oregon), but you what is your take on UCLA?
Signups for Season 2 being Taken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bowlerdude7733
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

West Coast wrote:

Do you guys think UCLA is as good as their ranking and will be a team like last year? They lost what, one top guy, got back Affalo and still has presense in the inside. Now, I am NOT a UCLA fan, (Gonzaga, Washington and Oregon), but you what is your take on UCLA?

UCLA is very deserving of their rating right now, and will probably move to 1 when the next polls come out(Depending on if they lose or not). Just about their whole team is back from last year, and they were pretty good last year IMO. They just play great D, and that sparks their offense. I could see them getting to the Final 4 if they can stay healthy, and keep a solid D( But it will be tough, considering that a really good Offensive team can dismantle them, Case: Florida last year).
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

West Coast wrote:

I think UCLA should of been #1 in both polls last week, and will be next week. Farmar leaving hasn't hurt them as much as many thought with the emergence of Collison. They finally got Josh Shipp back healthy, and return most of there starters. Howland has done a great job making this team buy into defense, and this team will be dangerous again this year. The only problem I can see for them is their lack of low-post offense.
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 3613

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Pitt Panthers are going ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Gray=MVP!
azizbatihk

Forum ID: 7334

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I want to see OSU go out and win a Football and Basketball title
569476 4* ST, 307190 5* FA
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Alex23 wrote:

Gray=MVP!

Reds boi. Gray is a complete stiff in my opinion. Haven't seen him this year(last I saw him he was getting beat by Patrick O'Bryant and Bradley), but unless he somehow became faster, athletic, coordinated, and competent over the summer, then Pitt has no shot.
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 1739

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
Alex23 wrote:

Gray=MVP!

Reds boi. Gray is a complete stiff in my opinion. Haven't seen him this year(last I saw him he was getting beat by Patrick O'Bryant and Bradley), but unless he somehow became faster, athletic, coordinated, and competent over the summer, then Pitt has no shot.

My boy? Gray can seriously lick a sack of peanuts. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised with OSUs performance last night..I really cant wait till Oden comes back. And kingjames, your a joke..You cant honestly believe all of that bull you posted. And put my money where my mouth is, lets make a bet if OSU and UNC have a rematch, Id gurantee an OSU victory.

"It's humanly impossible to stop [No.] 85. You are kind of insulting me. I cannot be stopped. Period."
-- Chad Johnson
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

reds wrote:
Georgy wrote:
Alex23 wrote:

Gray=MVP!

My boy? Gray can seriously lick a sack of peanuts. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised with OSUs performance last night..I really cant wait till Oden comes back. And kingjames, your a joke..You cant honestly believe all of that bull you posted. And put my money where my mouth is, lets make a bet if OSU and UNC have a rematch, Id gurantee an OSU victory.

GRAY'S YA BOI.
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Another sleeper team I'm picking this year is Texas A&M. They have a great senior point guard in Acie Law (17 points and 5 assists a game) and like I said before, an experienced PG can get you far in March. Not to mention there solid inside game of Jones and Kavaliauskas who are also experienced; Senior and Junior. They get there first real test on the 5th at LSU, and 4 days later at UCLA.
pizzaguy
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 4887

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Toledo will make the Final Four... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyle
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 326

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna have to make it a point to catch a UCLA game as soon as possible. They didn't impress me at all last year (though they kept winning), and I got this feeling their the same team. I kept telling everyone they were gonna get blown out in the Championship game, and they did. Maybe I just caught them on bad nights the 3 times I saw them last season.
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:

henny wrote:
Another sleeper team I'm picking this year is Texas A&M. They have a great senior point guard in Acie Law (17 points and 5 assists a game) and like I said before, an experienced PG can get you far in March. Not to mention there solid inside game of Jones and Kavaliauskas who are also experienced; Senior and Junior. They get there first real test on the 5th at LSU, and 4 days later at UCLA.

Good call, as always. They haven't gotten much pub this year after getting beat at the buzzer by LSU in the tourny last year. I still remember last year when Law hit a 3 at the buzzer on Texas last year, best court storming ever.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:
Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

You're an embarrassment to all UNC fans. LOL @ Oden has never played a college game. Congrats, Wright, Ellington, and Lawson have all played a grand total of 5 more college games than Oden! Just from a physical standpoint, having a 7 foot beast on defense is going to help you. And I'm willing to guarentee UNC won't make the final 4, and will tell you right now they won't be in my final 4 in my bracket. AND GONZAGA ALREADY BEAT UNC SO IN YOUR FACE.

And I have to ask since your name is "kingjames", are you from Ohio?

Yeah Zaga beat them but it was like their third game They will be A totally better, stronger team come tournment time we have the BEST COACH in da nation.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
reds wrote:
Georgy wrote:
Alex23 wrote:

Gray=MVP!

GRAY'S YA BOI.

Okay if they pla again i but my money where my mouth is and also if the play your beloved GONZAGA

Dude you focus to much on the players and forget about coaching again we have the best coach in the nation
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

kingjames wrote:
Yeah Zaga beat them but it was like their third game They will be A totally better, stronger team come tournment time we have the BEST COACH in da nation.

It was actually the 4th, but regardless that is possibly the worst excuse ever. Gonzaga lost about 60% of their total offense in Morrison and Batista(this really isn't emphasized enough, Batista played a huge role on that team). The featured player this year, Josh Heytvelt, barely even played last year. This is a completely different team. Gonzaga will be a better and stronger team at the end of the year too, so, ok.

What makes Roy Williams the best coach in the nation? This should be absolutely fantastic.
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 1090

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

It was actually the 4th, but regardless that is possibly the worst excuse ever. Gonzaga lost about 60% of their total offense in Morrison and Batista(this really isn't emphasized enough, Batista played a huge role on that team). The featured player this year, Josh Heytvelt, barely even played last year. This is a completely different team. Gonzaga will be a better and stronger team at the end of the year too, so, ok.

What makes Roy Williams the best coach in the nation? This should be absolutely fantastic.

What makes Roy williams the best coach in the nation? hmm...man I can't think of anything. Wait one sec!!!!!! He is at least every bit as good as any other coach I believe...but, what do I know but, this site seems to think so http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_roy00.html
Georgy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

koolzach1 wrote:
Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

What makes Roy williams the best coach in the nation? hmm...man I can't think of anything. Wait one sec!!!!!! He is at least every bit as good as any other coach I believe...but, what do I know but, this site seems to think so http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_roy00.html

Man, you're good! Way to post a link! Pizzaguy style!
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 5677

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

G, are you at all shocked by BC's position in the ACC right now? What are their chances of getting back to the top by the middle of the road?
MY mentor, MY hero

mitype2 wrote:
I'll have some Ginger ale instead. Get it Ginger? Ginger Ale???
kingjames
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

I'm not from ohio i'm from N.C buti my name is james and i'm a lebron fan

What makes Roy Williams the best coach in the nation.
#1 coached under the G.O.A.T Dean Smith

#2 In three seasons, Carolina is 34-14 in ACC regular-season action. The 34 wins and .708 winning percentage are the best marks ever for any ACC coach after three seasons

#3 Williams won more games in the first 15 seasons of his coaching career than anyone else in NCAA history

#4Williams is the 12th coach to lead two schools to the Final Four and the third (with Larry Brown and Frank McGuire) to direct two schools to the championship game.

#5 Williams is tied for sixth all-time in NCAA Tournament wins with 42 and has an NCAA postseason win percentage of .724, fourth-best among active coaches. Six of his teams have been seeded No. 1 in a region in NCAA play.

#6 Williams has coached a team to 30 or more wins six times, which equals the second-most in NCAA history. He has won 20 or more games 16 times in 18 years (winning 19 in his first seasons at Kansas and Carolina), including 14 straight seasons at Kansas, a streak that equaled the third longest in NCAA history.

#7 He was the third-fastest coach in history to reach 300 wins and fourth fastest to 400. He has won more games than any coach after eight, nine, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 seasons as a head coach. He is the second-winningest Jayhawk coach in history behind Smith's college coach, Phog Allen.

#8Williams earned National Coach of the Year honors at Kansas in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1997 and was Big Eight/Big 12 Coach of the Year seven times (1990, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2002 and 2003). The New York Athletic Club presented him with its National Coach of the Year award in 2005. He received the John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award in 2003 from the Los Angeles Athletic Club.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject:

kingjames wrote:
Georgy wrote:
kingjames wrote:

I'm not from ohio i'm from N.C buti my name is james and i'm a lebron fan

What makes Roy Williams the best coach in the nation.
#1 coached under the G.O.A.T Dean Smith

#2 In three seasons, Carolina is 34-14 in ACC regular-season action. The 34 wins and .708 winning percentage are the best marks ever for any ACC coach after three seasons

#3 Williams won more games in the first 15 seasons of his coaching career than anyone else in NCAA history

#4Williams is the 12th coach to lead two schools to the Final Four and the third (with Larry Brown and Frank McGuire) to direct two schools to the championship game.

#5 Williams is tied for sixth all-time in NCAA Tournament wins with 42 and has an NCAA postseason win percentage of .724, fourth-best among active coaches. Six of his teams have been seeded No. 1 in a region in NCAA play.

#6 Williams has coached a team to 30 or more wins six times, which equals the second-most in NCAA history. He has won 20 or more games 16 times in 18 years (winning 19 in his first seasons at Kansas and Carolina), including 14 straight seasons at Kansas, a streak that equaled the third longest in NCAA history.

#7 He was the third-fastest coach in history to reach 300 wins and fourth fastest to 400. He has won more games than any coach after eight, nine, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 seasons as a head coach. He is the second-winningest Jayhawk coach in history behind Smith's college coach, Phog Allen.

#8Williams earned National Coach of the Year honors at Kansas in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1997 and was Big Eight/Big 12 Coach of the Year seven times (1990, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2002 and 2003). The New York Athletic Club presented him with its National Coach of the Year award in 2005. He received the John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award in 2003 from the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

ROFL. Way to copy and paste out of the link koolzach posted. Man, you fooled me!

Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

It makes me sad to see how far Kentucky has fallen..

They went from being the jewel of the SEC to being the league's "has beens"
ERG
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 361

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

Anyone see Oden yesterday?

Only a double-double with 5 blocks. Not bad, even if it was only Valpraiso it is still promising to know that we will have him for Florida.
bowlerdude7733
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

ERG wrote:

Only a double-double with 5 blocks. Not bad, even if it was only Valpraiso it is still promising to know that we will have him for Florida.

Only a double-double with basically one hand. I'd like to see many people shoot their FT, with their opposite hand and make half of them. Very promising they way he commanded the paint, no shot against OSU will go uncontested from here on out.
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 1090

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

ERG wrote:

Man, I maybe a UNC and WVU fan but, he (Greg Oden) is a BEAST!!!
I hate to say it but, OHST is every bit as good as UNC. That said I still believe that UNC will win the National Championship and you can say what you want and it might be a little bias but, I honestly think that UNC is the best/deepest team overall.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » Other Interests » Off Topic
Jump to: