SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
PL woes
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
EchizenR
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: PL woes

I'm a ST nine-star in PL-8. However, no matter how, I am not able to defeat DT 9-stars. Can't a ST team succeed or is success in the PL confined to DT teams?
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
TNT1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Forum ID: 1618

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

Yes, we just had one in PL1....

~803~ 11 Great Trainers and Beaner 10* (1st League for 19 seasons)
~9667~ Beauty and the 11 Beasts 10* (1st League Champs)
rikderimmer

Forum ID: 302

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:

Check out team 86288...
speedracer70
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 1266

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

I took my Lugnuts to PL 4 as an ST team. I couldn't get them out of PL 4 so I DT'ed them, one and half years later they are still in PL 4 Confused Keep training and don't give up, a strong ST team is better than an average DT team!!

A.K.A railhand

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dekid

Forum ID: 6522

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

I have ST teams in PL 5 ,6, & 7. It's been taking me about 3 or 4 seasons to move up so far. I assume it will take longer as I try to move up. At this point I don't think it is because just about all teams I play are DT but because the trainers are VERY GOOD!!!
epiphanic
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 6173

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

Exactly. SmallBall teams can achieve the same success with ST or DT. It may be more effecient to train in DT, but it isn't more effective. You've made it to 9* with an ST trained team, keep at it, you'll get the breaks eventually. To quote the great Mo: ST 4 Life!

Have you hugged the search button today?
nelmo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Lets be completely honest..........in the 5 years I have been here only Zach's team has reached PL1, and Money's team has come close. Kyle, and 2cool have had success as 10* and high pro leagues, but thats about it. Maybe I have forgotten one or two teams, but the number of overachieving ST teams are very few. The above average ST teams, I have seen that are able to compete vs a above average DT team, can be counted on one hand. Thats a lot of seasons, and a lot of teams.

Can you be above average and stay in the top levels as a ST? YES

Is it likely? NO

Thats the truth, you can belive it or not.
Havana Slim

Forum ID: 7522

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm just a rook, but I believe Nelmo. Basically, you are playing with a handicap. I also think that if you don't have at least 6 lefties, you are at a disadvantage as well, brickyard and ocean are popular parks and very hard for righty teams to win there.

Alacranes 9*
The_Safo
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 36

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:

Havana Slim wrote:
I'm just a rook, but I believe Nelmo. Basically, you are playing with a handicap. I also think that if you don't have at least 6 lefties, you are at a disadvantage as well, brickyard and ocean are popular parks and very hard for righty teams to win there.

Yep, you are a rook.
My 10 righties team is a PL2 team. My favorite team, 8 lefties in Ocean, has bounced between 5th and 3rd PL for about 130 seasons.
Havana Slim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:

The_Safo wrote:
Havana Slim wrote:

Yep, you are a rook.
My 10 righties team is a PL2 team. My favorite team, 8 lefties in Ocean, has bounced between 5th and 3rd PL for about 130 seasons.

Man you are one useless piece of work. So you have one team with righties doing well and one team with lefties doing badly. You don't even realize how useless this tiny anecdotal "evidence" is, do you? Why don't you stick to what you know best, intimidating little teenage boys by criticizing their posts and waxing nostalgic about the glory days.

Alacranes 9*
stubs

Forum ID: 6184

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:

I have a nine righty team (two of the lefties are pitchers) that have been in PL3 for a while now. I also have a 10 righty team that has spent most of the time in PL4 and 5. My best games are won in Ocean Park.
dekid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

On all three of my ST teams, two teams have one lefty and one has two leftys. Would I like more leftys? Sure why not. I will not worry about it and I still intend for my ST teams to keep advancing up the PLs no matter what obstacles we meet.
Havana Slim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't saying that having lefties is absolutely necessary to have a good, or even a great team. I'm was offering the opinion that all other things being equal (which of course, they never are) more lefties gives you a bit of an advantage.

Alacranes 9*
The_Safo
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 36

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

Havana Slim wrote:
The_Safo wrote:
Havana Slim wrote:

Yep, you are a rook.

Man you are one useless piece of work. So you have one team with righties doing well and one team with lefties doing badly. You don't even realize how useless this tiny anecdotal "evidence" is, do you? Why don't you stick to what you know best, intimidating little teenage boys by criticizing their posts and waxing nostalgic about the glory days.

Wow, where did all that hostility come from?
You've been around about two months, think you have it figured out and jump on someone if that they respond differently to your theory.
If you're going to put out an opinion, don't expect all to agree Grow up, let others state what they think.
OOPS. sorry, you must be one of the teenage boys I love to intimidate. Didn't mean to scare you.
nelmo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

nelmo wrote:
Lets be completely honest..........in the 5 years I have been here only Zach's team has reached PL1, and Money's team has come close. Kyle, and 2cool have had success as 10* and high pro leagues, but thats about it. Maybe I have forgotten one or two teams, but the number of overachieving ST teams are very few. The above average ST teams, I have seen that are able to compete vs a above average DT team, can be counted on one hand. Thats a lot of seasons, and a lot of teams.

Can you be above average and stay in the top levels as a ST? YES

Is it likely? NO

Thats the truth, you can belive it or not.

I don't post here that much anymore, but felt I had to since I only seen one point of view and one I didn't agree with. Smallball is a game that will frustrate the hell out of you. Its a game of endurance that will have your players changing and playing differently from time to time. Just when you have them playing well, all of the sudden they change. Thats why you have to mix things up every once in a while, and being able to focus train on particular skills is a advantage. In DT its easily done, but not in ST. Since the DT came out in 2001 there has never been a ST champion, and using Zach's team as a way to show it could be done, is overrated. Why? because that is one team out of thousands that have tried with ST. In fact, Zach was at one point so frustrated at being in pl3 for a year straight, that he dropped out. I see this thread was made with the intentions of finding out if a ST could be as good as a DT, not parks or lefties, or how you manage, just ST vs DT. The facts speak for themselves by there never being a ST champion, and one team in 5 years making it to PL1. With so many good trainers retiring, maybe it will be easier nowadays, its up to you to try.

My advice is, if its fun for you to keep training ST, then that is what matters. But.......if your serious about advancing and expect to make a run at a championship, you will need a DT.
dekid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

So then what you are saying Nelmo is unless you spend some cash on this site, you don't have a chance of winning.
Havana Slim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

dekid wrote:
So then what you are saying Nelmo is unless you spend some cash on this site, you don't have a chance of winning.

And doesn't that make sense? If I owned this site I'd be trying to make enough money on it to be able to live off it and thus have more time to devote to improving it. Many games offer a free but badly crippled team which is ok for learning the game, but need immediate "upgrade" after that.
This game is better than most, in that you can actually compete to pretty high levels without spending money. If you want to try to compete with the higher level teams though, you are going to have to spend a little money or win the tools in a tourney. Another great feature here, is that you can actually make money or at least break even by playing the market at wall st or yard.

Alacranes 9*
nelmo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Exactly, if the DT, Super Rookies,lefties, parks, and other tickets were not of any use, why get them. The game was made to make money, and to be competitive vs others that have spent money, you will also have to spend. Most teams when started always have a lame player or two. Thats put there on purpose, so you will spend a little extra on a super rookie, to get to the level that others that have are at. AndNow letting you play this game for free was a way of sucking you into the competition. The free DT fridays was also put in so you would get a taste, and go ahead and spend money.

But, spending money nowadays isn't something I would recommend to anyone. If the owners do not ever come back, the dying of the game is unavoidable. So have fun training in ST, and look to get better for your own personal goals, and not to win PL1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
Jump to: