SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Baseball Dugout
9*--->10*
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Doomchild
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 392

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: 9*--->10*

Ok.

I've been very patient with my team.
No matter what i do they will not get on that 9* list and hit 10*.

I spend my time everyday training this team.
Its very frustrating when you see teams with 175,000+ ids hitting 9/10* before i can.

Would someone mind telling me what I am doing wrong?

I have a 6-day rotation

Catch,power,run,throw,contact,run, etc.

then i have rotating pitchers
one who i great at batting
one who sucks at everything but pitching

My bench players are very good, so at anytime i could substitute them in.

If anyone can pm me and help me out with maybe a lineup change or somethin that would be great.

Halow
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 1698

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Don't blanket train, you need to train their weaknesses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gameshark
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 74

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject:

Doom, what got me over the 9* line into the 10* area was 48 hour pie....after about 3 or 4 of those i got 10*, make sure you run, power, and skill train in those!!
Viper
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 178

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject:

Halow wrote:
Don't blanket train, you need to train their weaknesses.

Thats absolute rubbish, i have gotten 4 teams to 10* by blanket training. And i expect there are others that have too.
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 326

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject:

You tell him Viper!!

I don't have a 10* team, but I would suggest that you stay with you current schedule except that you use 48hr pie for batting. That would turn out to be a 9 day schedule. I've had much success gaining stars since going to this method. I'll even go 4 straight days (two 48hr pies) in batting on occasions, but be careful of your players moods. I can't use 48hr pies on running. I went 9 days on one team without running and had nearly the entire team max on 1/2 pies. I must run more than most owners or something.

Viper
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject:

When listening to people they will always say like running will do it or throwing. This only works if you are weak in that area.

I would say the key to reaching 10* are your benchies. Try maxing your benchies in each skill before putting them into the line up. Then max the people you just took out. It takes time but you can reach 10*.
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 26

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject:

Viper wrote:
I would say the key to reaching 10* are your benchies. Try maxing your benchies in each skill before putting them into the line up. Then max the people you just took out. It takes time but you can reach 10*.

I don't agree with what you say about the bench. The bench players really don't gain enough TP to really compensate for the extra skill loss. The bench is good to give extra attention to a particular area of a regular player's weakness, but to say its the key to 10* is a little much.

In my case, the players on the bench are the worst players and they usually can't gain or maintain any amount of swing skill. They aren't going to go into the lineup for more than one day per week.

As for blanket training, I'd say a lot of people use it because its easier to keep track of than tracking 12 players individually. It does work, but doing the same thing and looking after each player's individual needs would work better.

Weakness training, however, will only do one thing; train all your players to the level of the weakest guy. Its useless once you've started to gain a reasonable amount of skill. One player will be your worst runner, thrower, catcher or whatever. You can't change that without completely neglecting their other skills and even then its only a short term gain.

77777, 905, 930, et al...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyle
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 326

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject:

JD_Titans wrote:
Viper wrote:

I don't agree with what you say about the bench. The bench players really don't gain enough TP to really compensate for the extra skill loss. The bench is good to give extra attention to a particular area of a regular player's weakness, but to say its the key to 10* is a little much.

In my case, the players on the bench are the worst players and they usually can't gain or maintain any amount of swing skill. They aren't going to go into the lineup for more than one day per week.

As for blanket training, I'd say a lot of people use it because its easier to keep track of than tracking 12 players individually. It does work, but doing the same thing and looking after each player's individual needs would work better.

Weakness training, however, will only do one thing; train all your players to the level of the weakest guy. Its useless once you've started to gain a reasonable amount of skill. One player will be your worst runner, thrower, catcher or whatever. You can't change that without completely neglecting their other skills and even then its only a short term gain.

That only seems true if the players on the bench suck and never get any better. Putting players on the bench for an entire season has help several of players on each of my teams get to where they would never have if they hadn't spent time on the bench for a good while. I had a guy that wouldn't hit past 250ft in DT no matter if you trained him every 2 days in power. I put him on the bench for nearly a whole season and trained him in power most of it and now he hits above 300ft with good skill and contact. He now holds that level as long as I don't go more than about 4 days without power training him. I have another player on that same team that I have done the same thing with and it is working even better with him. I also have put players on the bench with another team to finally get a couple players swing skill good enough to actually use all that power they have. I have had players that were just duds that made absolutely no difference when they were put on the bench and just took up TP that my other player could have use more usefully.
Angel
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 1057

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject:

when I got 152828 to 10*, I did it with 24 hr pies... and trained in weakness. I had used 48 hr. pie blanket training for 6 days (and gave them all batting starting with contact, then power, then skill) then went back to 24 hr pie and did my fielding... took the bottom of sort list for each of run, throw, catch.... for 3 days and the 3rd day they made 10*. I will by no means say this method works for every team, but it worked for me.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject:

JD_Titans wrote:
Viper wrote:

If the players on your bench dont hold skill very well, i think you should really rookie them. Bench players get twice as much TP, and so will get better gains mean you can max them quicker. But if your benchies are not very good, whats the point in having them. If they will never get better they are just wasted space.
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 361

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject:

Viper wrote:
JD_Titans wrote:
Viper wrote:

If the players on your bench dont hold skill very well, i think you should really rookie them. Bench players get twice as much TP, and so will get better gains mean you can max them quicker. But if your benchies are not very good, whats the point in having them. If they will never get better they are just wasted space.

Yes...but there are and have been numerous occasions were a player is not doing well and then after a while becomes one of your better players. I've always seen rook'ing a player as a risky ticket because that player could come back to be one of your better players over time...
Viper
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject:

erg wrote:
Viper wrote:
JD_Titans wrote:
Viper wrote:

Yes...but there are and have been numerous occasions were a player is not doing well and then after a while becomes one of your better players. I've always seen rook'ing a player as a risky ticket because that player could come back to be one of your better players over time...

Yes i know that, but i have had some guys power hit for over a season and not gain at all. In those cases what is the point in having them in your team. Also i have rookied a couple of players, one guy has turned into an amazing hitter and also a good outfielder. The other one, is good outfielder, not sure about his hitting yet. To be honest if you want a really good team, one of the best, the only way to go is to rookie players. I have seen some teams with several rookied players and they are amazing teams, they would not be this way if they had the original players.
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 392

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject:

well you guys have been a big help

ill start working on it Wink

TCK
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 105

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject:

Sometimes some players just suck that season it seems. Trust me I have had one of my "star" players on Playmates just totally stink it up to the point I want to Super rookie her. Evil or Very Mad She used to be really good but then poof nothing I still have yet to figure what to do to bring her outa it. As for 10* I think bench is a VERY important part. I finally hit 10* (after like 2 seasons on 9* list) with my bench in I only held for a hour but still only had it with bench in not starters. Altho Ill lose more being 10* I finally got that lil badge. Wink Just rotate your Pitchers and get them batting I think is the most vital part in SB is a hitting Pitcher can win games.
bigred9678

Forum ID: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject:

I would suggest a little variety in your training. Blanket train one season then train weaknesses the next. That will get you to 10*. Training weaknesses helps because your team is only as strong as your weakest player. When calculating any average, as is done with star level, the lower values in the sum tend to drag the whole average down easier than the higher values. So training weaknesses brings those lower values up, thus raising your overall average.

However, if you want to win, individual training is the only way to go. As anyone who has reached 10* will tell you, stars don't mean jack when it comes to winning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Baseball Dugout
Jump to: