SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:43 pm
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
New to PL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Laoiseach
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7719

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: New to PL
Subject description: Pro League Info

I finally made it into PL9 after 3 seasons! Smile Being new to this, I have a couple of questions about playing in PL. First of all, is there any advantage or benefit of continuing to play the BL games (besides increasing my honor rating)? I've noticed that some of the PL teams are still initiating BL games but are not appearing on the top 100. I thought once you've reached the PL the new concerns are to play your games and work your way up to the top. Secondly, how are the teams scheduled?, what determines who plays who? Thanks much and appreciate any info anyone has to offer.
rikderimmer

Forum ID: 302

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: New to PL
Subject description: Pro League Info

Well, congratulations! How many stars is your team?

I will try to answer your first question from out of my experience. I think it is useful to initiate a BL game (or a userleague game) once in a while to find out the strenghts and weaknesses of your team. Also if you initiate a BL to another team that is equal or better than your team the result can say something about your current form. Besides that it is fun to play games although it will not deliver you something concrete.

But it can also become a disadvantage of you work your way up the leagues and the teams you play become better. Other trainers will also notice how your form is Wink .

Probably there are a lot of different opinions about this subject but this is how I see it.
Laoiseach
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7719

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:

Thanx Rik. My team has been holding steady at 8* for the last 3 or 4 training sessions. I train my team anywhere from 12hrs to 48 hours (depending on what area I'm concentrating on). I agree that playing in ANY league is fun. I just didn't know if continuing to initiate BL games would have any type impact on my advancement in PL. I know that once you're in the PL it becomes even more challenging (due to everyone battlin' it out) but that's where training smarter to play harder teams comes in...which makes playing SmallBall fun and competitive. Now if I could only get some fire under my guys to move up that would be great...hope they haven't reached a plateau...probably just a slump. Any suggestions?
chspogo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 6355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:

When the season starts, teams are sorted in order by the following, from top to bottom:
\/ (dropped from the upper league the previous season)
# (stayed in the same league, ranked from the lowest number to the highest)
^ (advanced the the leauge below [in your case just joining]

\/ and ^ are sorted in order from lowest team ID to highest team ID. So whenever commishes team (ID #1) enters a league for the first time, it is ranked at the top of the ^, whenever it drops a leauge, it is ranked 1st.

The schedule is based off of this list at the beginning of the season. Schedules are 18 games. You initated against the 9 teams ranked under you, and the 9 teams above have to initiate a game against you. (if you are either at the top or the bottom of the list, then your games come from the opposite loop of games, IE: commishes team is ranked #1, he has to initiate against teams ranked #100,99,98,97,96,95,94,93, 92)

Please feel free to add to this, or make any corrections.. it's very early Shocked

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first. --Frederick B. Wilcox
Havana Slim

Forum ID: 7522

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Cool info, thanks, chspogo, I wondered what all those characters meant. I always play a couple of games at the start of the season before I play any PL games, just to find out if any of my usual starters is in a bad mood or whatever it is that causes them to go into slumps when the seasons change. While it is true that this gives info to your opponents, at least you are in a position to train for the problem, or put the problem child lower in the batting order or change your pitcher or just bench the bum. Other than that, I like to play against teams in PL1 or 2 a couple of times a season, to gage where I'm at. Then there's this friendly rivalry I have with The Deadliest Catch, which drives me nuts because sometimes I beat him by a lot and other times (usually) he creams me, which leads me to think that I have no idea what I'm doing... Shocked

Alacranes 9*
Beaner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Forum ID: 71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

I still play BL games because I use my player's stats to determine how I set up my batting order. I really need at least 10 games to really see how well each player is batting. PL games are not enough for me to determine how well they are really doing in that particular season. The same goes for my 2 pitchers.

Proud Member of Smallball Devils
803 - 11 Great Trainers and Beaner (AcA)-(PL1)

9667 - Beauty and the 11 Beasts (AcA)-(PL1)
Retired: 5097-17690-19301 (3 PL1 Wins)
rikderimmer

Forum ID: 302

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Often maxing out in running will carry your team further (to solid 9*).
I agree with Beaner on the avg's; I also use them.
Greetz
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
Jump to: