SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
Expert Help Wanted
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Robin
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7276

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Expert Help Wanted
Subject description: My Team Is In A Major Slump!

The best of my Smallball teams is a nine star team in ProLeague seven. This team (463618 DT) has played well over its' career and all in all I have been very happy with their play of the last couple seasons. This season however they are losing to teams that i know they should be beating, but i just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I know that one of my benchies needs to be rookied but there really isn't anything I can do about that.
I am still a newbie in the smallball world and so I am hoping that an experienced player would be willing to look over the team as an AT and see if their are any glaring errors. I would like to know how I can get my team back on track, thank you. PM me or post here if you are willing to help.

~102 ProLeague Wins~
Philgil
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 7441

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject:

teams change over season and so do the players your best hitter last season could be your worst hitter this season the only thing i think you can do is change how you train them
chspogo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 6355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

tweak your schedule.. smallball players get fusy if they always have the same schedule Neutral

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first. --Frederick B. Wilcox
rikderimmer

Forum ID: 302

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Expert Help Wanted

Robin wrote:
This season however they are losing to teams that i know they should be beating, but i just can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

Are you talking to me? Wink

I have the same problem this season with 555555. Partly because I do not have the time to give them full attention.
There are some pretty good teams in PL7 and sometimes your team is in a slump. Timing is very important as well as balance in your team. Next season can be totally different again...

I am not very experienced (PL4) but I can have a quick look if you want.
Just PM me...

Oh, changing schedule or giving your players a more individual approach might also work out...
pinstriped paully
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7470

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Expert Help Wanted

What's the problem? To be honest with you, your team seems to be doing just fine. I mean, you've got a pretty good chance to advance to the next pro league this season, and it looks like you have some pretty tough competition. Those teams are for the most part nine star teams with a few exceptions. You had a few heart breaking one run losses, if those had gone the other way, you would be guaranteed advancement to the next pro league. So just to get a few extra runs, you might want to adjust your batting order slightly. Also, some of your players have a rather low batting average. Might want to concentrate on offence for a while when training. Maybe give those guys on the bench a shot.
rikderimmer

Forum ID: 302

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

Guess we are never sattisfied with the performance of our team unless we win every singel match.

I do not think that advancement will be a possibility in your case because that will at least require 12 wins in PL7. I agree with the low batting avarage because this avarage should be at least higher then 0.3 and approaching 0.4 for all players.

Do you train skill and/or contact on a frequent base?
Rally 66 2.0
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 6148

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert Help Wanted

Robin wrote:
The best of my Smallball teams is a nine star team in ProLeague seven. This team (463618 DT) has played well over its' career and all in all I have been very happy with their play of the last couple seasons. This season however they are losing to teams that i know they should be beating, but i just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I know that one of my benchies needs to be rookied but there really isn't anything I can do about that.
I am still a newbie in the smallball world and so I am hoping that an experienced player would be willing to look over the team as an AT and see if their are any glaring errors. I would like to know how I can get my team back on track, thank you. PM me or post here if you are willing to help.
One also problem is that you play almost everygame on the first day. Confused

Rally's 12LeftyGuyz
IowaHawkeyes|Rally
Rally'sOther12LeftyGuyz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mitype2
Expert
Expert

Forum ID: 6460

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm a retired drip does that make me an ex spurt?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kirbymaster28
Rookie
Rookie

Forum ID: 7742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

The 7th League is one of the toughest leagues to advance in the ProLeague.

As a former nine-star owning team, it took 3 seasons to get my team to advance past 7th League, but once I got into the 6th League, I blazed through it easily and then after 3 straight losses in the 5th League, my team continued on. 4th League was downright difficult. I spent 5 seasons between 4th League and 5th League until I quit (due to the fact that I had a new computer and couldn't get my old team back for some unknown reason).

Don't be hard on yourself if you can't seem to advance. Usually, it's because your players don't have good enough batting contact or batting skill. Power shouldn't even be an issue in games that go right down to the wire.

Trust me, once you get past 7th League, you should have no problem
nelmo
Trade Agent of the Month
Trade Agent of the Month

Forum ID: 90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

kirbymaster28 wrote:
The 7th League is one of the toughest leagues to advance in the ProLeague.

As a former nine-star owning team, it took 3 seasons to get my team to advance past 7th League, but once I got into the 6th League, I blazed through it easily and then after 3 straight losses in the 5th League, my team continued on. 4th League was downright difficult. I spent 5 seasons between 4th League and 5th League until I quit (due to the fact that I had a new computer and couldn't get my old team back for some unknown reason).

Don't be hard on yourself if you can't seem to advance. Usually, it's because your players don't have good enough batting contact or batting skill. Power shouldn't even be an issue in games that go right down to the wire.

Trust me, once you get past 7th League, you should have no problem

kirbymaster28...nothing personal, but I disagree with most of what you said.
First, you say it only took you 3 seasons to get out of PL7, yet you say its one of the hardest leagues.I feel that is a personal opinion on what one team (yours) did, not the overall consensus on that league. Most long time trainers will tell you it really does not even get that hard until you hit Pl 4. I bet most trainers that have spent years in certain leagues will agree with me. From my years of playing and after going though all leagues with multiple teams, I would say the hardest is PL4, and only because most teams there have about the same skill, and only 10 out of 100 teams advance. Many seasons 13 wins will not get you advanced. I myself had teams win 12 and 13 wins in the past in PL4 and not advance. The hardest after that are PL3, then PL2. In other words, the higher you go up the ladder, the harder it gets. The fact you advanced out of PL6 faster probably didn’t have anything to do with the league being easier, but the fact that your team was at the time peaking and playing sharper, and that carried on into a different season. Teams will do that on occation, and have back-to-back great seasons.

From what I seen on team 461618 team page, I can at least tell you this.
Most long time trainers that have advanced to all leagues will probably all agree with me on this one...........If you initiate and lose three games on the same day, you do not deserve to advance. Even the best teams in smallball will have off days. Once you lose a game or two, regroup. The season is two weeks not a day or two at the beginning of the season, so be patient and wait until you feel your team is peaking and sharp before initiating. That or pick you spots during the season and find teams that are looking weak before initiating against them. Advancing takes managing, not just training so try to be smart and patient and you will see yourself advancing much easier. Remember, your team will get sharp during different times in the season, so know your team and watch for them to be at their sharpest before running off a bunch of games.

BTW mitype2.........I am also a ex spurt
Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
Jump to: