SmallBall.com SmallBall Sports Forums Archives

Read the history of the first SmallBall Sports community forum
This archive contains all posts from the former SmallBall Sports Forums

Please log in with your old Smallball Forums account to view all posts.

Final Update - Sunday, December 31, 2006 

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Who's OnlineWho's Online  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileRanks   RegisterRegister 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log inLog in 
   SB Archives Forums IndexSB Archives Forums Index   Smallball Sports DiscordSmallball Sports Discord   WS Archives 2 Forums IndexWS Archives 2 Forums Index 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 am
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
New Players (Everyone read before posting)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
one mile high
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 4988

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: New Players (Everyone read before posting)

I have been involved with Smallball religiously for over a month’s time. I have spent time watching my games, playing over 250 to evaluate my team, and checked into the forums everyday to do searches on pitching, hitting and a ton of aspects of this game (over 20 hours in the first month). Dtown’s post a couple of days ago about his team, and his asking for help and some of the responses surprised me. As a new player, I can understand the frustration that new players face.

First and foremost to new players search in the forums for questions like pitching, hitting, and defense before asking your question on the forum. If you do not find the answer you are looking for then ask the question in the beginner’s forum. Veteran players be aware that the search feature is not the end all of existence. It must be frustrating to answer the same questions repeatedly, I can understand this, but this also doesn’t mean that the answer is right in front of you. Information changes, as does the game so what might have been pertinent a year ago is no long valid. The forums are difficult to navigate and find pertinent information to what you are searching for. It is similar to smallball in that as you get more experience you get better.

The beginner’s forum is just that, for beginner’s to ask any question they wish about the game. The information about this game is outdated in some sections, and if you do a general search on information like pitching you will get conflicting information based on different people’s opinions and changes in the game.

I usually don’t talk much, and have little to add because I am new to this game as well. From experience I do know that not everything that veteran’s of this game think is in black in white is as easily accessed as some think. If you don’t know anything about this game and you are trying to read, realize that different opinions on the same subject can be confusing and often times send you in different directions for the same subject. Other information is outdated or just incorrect when you use the search terms.

It bothers me that generally the same group of “players� have the time to offer suggestions of little to no value to new players. What has become status quo and old news to them becomes a bothersome endeavor to answer a question or help someone out. I started to figure this game out on my own, and by reading the forums here. I know nothing about it, I don’t claim to and I guess only time will tell if I did the right or wrong things. I understand the frustration of new players who come here, train when they don’t know what they are doing and then try to ask assistance when their team is out of wack.

Just remember when you were new and you didn’t understand what effect the bench players had, how skill was gain and lost, and why your pitcher who did well is now getting bombed. All or some of things might have happened to you when you were new, and if they didn’t well then I guess you are superior to the 1000s that have tried this game.

I don’t want any negative responses or flames, just something for a few older players to think about when they believe the answer is right in front of them. Here are some questions that I ran into and searching on the forums was negative rather than positive. I hope this will help some new players because here is a short list of questions that I had that I had to search to find the information. Some of which gives you conflicting information but can give you a starting point to look from. This isn’t comprehensive for new players, it is just some things that are on the top of my head that have caused me or other confusion.

24 HR pie versus 48 hr. pies – Some claim they see more gains from 48 training than 24 hour training. Some say they are exactly the same, so conflicting information can be difficult.

Gain TP when teams challenge your team - this is information posted on the boards and the FAQ or Tutuorial, it is invalid.

Pitching – do a search and you come up with 788 matches as of today. Information on the sticky talks about pitching and helping out with it in this post, but there is conflicting information that is confusing to a new player.
Pitching is the most important skill on smallball, but that takes some time to find and realize. This post I found was very helpful and I hope it will help newer players as well. But look at the confusion when respected players of the community have a difference of opinion in the same topic. You will find examples of this throughout smallball. (New players read this topic on pitching before training your team).
http://www.forums.smallball.org/archive_forum/viewtopic.php?p=2500

Stadiums – Do they really make a difference? Yes and No, again conflicting information based on different players. But the feeling is superior managers overcome stadiums. At the higher levels, they have to play in all stadiums so the effect is less on newer teams. The advantage of stadiums is more important at the lower levels. Alice and Ocean are only available in trade on Wall Street, all buyable stadiums are the only stadiums out with the exception of Ocean and Alice. They are available for purchase with an 800 team from the smallball mall, but not available for purchase (Ocean and Alice). Once a stadium is used on a team, IT CANNOT BE USED on another.

Leftys – Why, are the more important, etc. They can hit between 2nd and 1st with the hole created with runners on. Are they really better? Well take a look at 2nd and 1st league and see the number of lefty players on their roster. The answer is as simple as that, most of the teams have a ton of lefty’s on their teams.

Catching – You have your best player in LF and can’t understand why whenever the ball is hit to him he drops it. Some players are better suited for different positions, the player is most likely not going to be an OF player and you need to move them somewhere else.

Super Rookie and Rookie tickets - Some information on the boards says that they should not be used until 9*. Other information says that as soon as you find your pitcher and some basic training you should use them so they get the advantage of being similar to the players on your team. I don’t know the answer or claim to, but this is something I ran into during my searches.

Running - Used in Scouting reports and effects both defensive and offensive categories. With all of the discussion on HR hitting and Pitching this skill seems to get lost in the shuffle, but it is a skill that will effect more than one aspect of the game.

Power Hitting – In my research Power hitting will win you games, but the problems start to develop as you move higher up in the leagues. Your gains for hitting will decrease as other categories start to get closer to max and it is more difficult for players to get huge “jumps.� If you are dependent upon these jumps for success you will lose in the long-term.

ST versus DT – You cannot be one of the top teams with ST is the verdict, but you can still compete using the standard trainer. DT tickets are available at Wall Street for reduced prices and trades.

Balance – Balance is the key to smallball according to the commish. Training power over and over, or contact over and over will not make you successful. All skills must be trained and balance will help you be successful in smallball.

Season end / Season beginning – The start of a new season will have affects on your team. Some players will slump others will gain new confidence and play well. There is an effect on your team. You can use a scouting report, or good old fashion investigation to find which players are affected. If you best hitter from the previous season is batting .200 there is a good chance you haven’t changed your training, they have taken the season hit.

QT tickets Are designed to quick train a team and put all of the TP into one category rather than multiple categories like catching in the fielding cage in DT or the Catch area. Fielding (catch, run) Catch area (little pass, and catch). Do not use QT tickets after you have hit about 100 skill gain in any one area (per the forums).

Timeshift – A program designed by adjusting your system clock so games run faster.
What is the program
To get the program and what it does
http://www.forums.smallball.org/archive_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18984&highlight=timeshift

I hope this post helps some new players, and gives them a starting point on what terms to search for. I am not doing this trying to reach out or bad mouth the veteran players. I am doing this to help the newer players, with some questions others or myself have asked.

Be sure to search in the forums and be sure to include that in your question. Include information from that posts that you have found such as: I searched on pitching and come up with three different posts. Include the pertinent part of the post in your question and ask for clarification. “I searched on Pitching in the forums and found that you must max all of your players in pitching to find your true pitcher. Some people to say to wait for 4 days after they are maxed for pitching while others say to wait two? Which is the best method?� New players take the time to do some research on your own, and veteran players be more lenient on people that are new because everything in this game is about as clear as mud because there are so many aspects of it. Add incorrect, invalid, or conflicting information to the mix and it is a lot harder for a new player to get the swing of things.

This is coming from a new player, and this is based on my reading, my research and is not the end all. This is just a starting point to help players who had problems in the beginning like me finding exactly what they were looking for because they have no idea what they are looking for. That often times gets overlooked.

I know this is a long post, and I am not looking for negative information. Only additions that will help include areas of concern for new players. If you feel something that is missed can be added, please feel free to do so. I am not an authority on this game, just a new player trying to save a couple of people hours of searching and reading with a couple of different areas of the game. If you don’t like some of things I posted, well then scroll down to my signature.

One more thing that I think is probably the most important. When searching on a topic and you find a response that you think is good check to see who the author of the post is. See what other things they have commented on. If someone has been here for two years than they have a ton of experience. If someone has not been here as long, don't discount their ideas but search for yourself and see who's ideas you think are correct and see what else they have said here. That will lead you into a ton of different topics that you might not have not even known about. (Timeshift for me, I didn't know what it was for the longest time).

One Mile High

Additions to this post can be found here:
http://www.forums.smallball.org/archive_forum/viewtopic.php?p=335480#335480
nmshooter
Veteran
Veteran

Forum ID: 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Great Post Mile High, you are a welcome addition to the Smallball Community.

What you say has been said before, many times but you said it in a fresh, new way that will hopefully help alot.

To add, I did the same thing when i first started played several years ago. I didnt post at all for a while until I had learned. That knowledge came from going thru past posts in the Old Forums. It was alot harder to search there. The search function here, in the new forums, is a terrific tool.

Also, many owners have put together full tutorials to help in many ways. BTB started a web site just for that reason - to help beginners. That site is one of the largest sites made for the game of Smallball and there are alot of people there who can help.

The stickies are also a great tool. Chat and tourneys are another great source. Whenever you have great players gathered together.......they talk. You cant help but learn a little.

Good luck all.
one mile high
Pro
Pro

Forum ID: 4988

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: thank you

Thank you for the kind words Shooter. I am sure nothing I have said here hasn't been said countless times before. For new players some effort and searching is required on their part, and it is difficult for general questions like who is my pitcher to be answered by veterans. Thanks to everyone for their additions, and I hope this helps some new players. Like I said before this is just a place to start from and to do some searching for yourself to find out exactly what is best for THEIR team. Good Luck.

OMH

Greek Wizard wrote:
You guys that think that obviously have no idea how things work.
Tim's Dodgers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Forum ID: 11

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

This is a great post and I will stick it!

I will also add the Admin/Moderator perspective on the Beginners forum and what it is for.

This forum is basically for new managers to ask questions in hopes of making their team better. We take a very big chance of running people off when we are mean or flame or tease them for asking a question that we think has a very simple answer. And who knows how many great contributors to this community we have already run off.

From this point forward we do not want to see any negative or flaming posts in this forum.
If you feel like a question is stupid move on without posting why you think it's stupid.
If you feel like a question has been asked too many times, move on without making a why don't you use the search button post.

If you want to be helpful and answer the question or post a link to another thread that already answered it, go ahead.

If we come across posts that are not helpful, negative, or flamming, they will be deleted.
If the same people want to continue to post negative messages you could receive a warning.

We should not be deleting that many posts because you can just move on without making a negative post and all will be fine in Beginner forum land. Laughing

Thanks for your help,
Tim...

Christmas Eve '01 (AcA) (2nd)
Tim's Dodgers (AcA) (3rd)
The Keys (AcA) (4th)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Forum index » SmallBall Baseball Forums » Beginner's Forum
Jump to: